4.19.2007

Downtown

For the last week or so, I have had a song stuck in my head. I didn't really notice it until yesterday, but it has been there since at least last Wednesday, maybe longer. It has been at the tip of my tongue when I need to speak, the back of my throat when I have to hum. Dancing around my brain in a way that only Petula Clark can. Today it has really come to a head, whenever there is quiet time it leaks out, no longer just in my head but now on my lips... It's Downtown... Down where the song haunts you... Downtown.

The funny thing is I don't really know all the words, I have been singing this line over and over. "Downtown, down where the town is down..." I am fairly certain that isnt right but when you are singing a concert for 1 it's all great!

A lot of times when you have a song stuck in your head it is a bad thing. Torture. This time it isnt so bad. Downtown is a good song. My knee-jerk reaction was to try and eclipse it with another song and on my way to work today I briefly did that with "Love Shack" but that song is way more annoying and I am glad that it didnt take. I now see that this isnt a curse but a blessing, I welcome this wonderful tune into my mind. I hope it sets up shop and bounces around in my head for awhile, because it would be nice to forget all my troubles, forget all my cares... and go DOWNTOWN....

Maybe this will infect you too. Maybe it will be a different tune... say Huge Calculator... Maybe not. Either way you can find all the words below, but I recommend making your own up. And if you do wind up going Downtown, let me know because I heard they have movie shows.

----
Downtown

Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city,
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose? The lights are much brighter there...
You can forget all your troubles; forget all your cares, and go
Downtown -- things will be great when you're
Downtown -- you'll find a place for sure
Downtown -- everything's waiting for you

Downtown .... Downtown...

Don't hang around, and let your problems surround you,
There are movie shows
Downtown

Maybe you know some little places to go to
Where they never close
Downtown

Just listen to the rhythm of a gentle Bossa Nova
You'll be dancing with 'em too before the night is over,
Happy again...
The lights are much brighter there,
You can forget all your troubles; forget all your cares, and go
Downtown -- where all the lights are bright
Downtown -- waiting for you tonight
Downtown -- you're gonna be all right now...

Downtown...Downtown...Downtown...

Downtown!

Downtown!

And you may find somebody kind to help and understand you;
Someone who is just like you and needs a gentle hand to
Guide them along...
So maybe I'll see you there,
We can forget all our troubles; forget all our cares, and go
Downtown -- things will be great when you're
Downtown -- don't wait a minute more
Downtown -- everything's waiting for you...

Downtown...Downtown
Downtown...Downtown
Downtown...Downtown
Downtown...Downtown
Downtown...Downtown (fade)

2 comments:

Mardi Gras said...

And if you come to downtown detroit, come visit me. I'll feed you beers and whiskey...or bourbon if you like. I also have gin.

Anonymous said...

there is a credit/debit card commercial running as of late that uses this song. if i were downtown near a betting establishment, i'd wager this is the source of your recent infatuation. good god man, turn off the tv!