5.29.2007

What Gives?


I spent my holiday afternoon hiking in the Poudre Canyon. All in all, the trip was delightful, but something bothered me upon our arrival that stuck with me throughout the day. Being a sunny Colorado afternoon, the parking lot to what I would describe as a moderate to difficult hike was completely full with the exception of not one, but two spaces devoted specifically to handicap vans. Now perhaps it’s not PC and maybe even a little discriminatory, but why the hell are two perfectly good parking spaces reserved for the handicapped outside of a difficult hiking trail. I have yet to see a wheelchair bound hiker or other such person of special needs along the trail. But seriously, if they’re capable of traversing through the backwoods and mountains, you mean to tell me they can’t walk an additional twenty feet of parking lot pavement like the rest of us. What gives?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suppose you would have written a similar post before you saw a unicycle on a trail aswell... stash your parking space envy and share the good spots... I've seen your car, you can park that thing anywhere...