5.02.2007

The LSD no hitter

I have done many things on many different substances. I will spare you the details as we all have stories to tell. Yes, I know what you have done. I discovered today that there is a baseball player that has done something amazing. It was June 12, 1970. The team was the Pittsburgh Pirates. The man was Dock Ellis. Mr. Ellis was a pitcher for the Pirates. On this day in 1970 he believed that he was between starts. He stayed at his hotel, invited his girlfriend over, and proceeded to drop acid. At noon the two dosed. At one o' clock Ellis' girlfriend read, in the newspaper, that he was indeed the starting pitcher that very night. By three in the afternoon that day he was on a plane and by six that evening he was pitching...in a Major League Baseball game! Awsome! As the story goes, the starting pitcher was a last minute scratch due to injury, leaving Dock the starter. "The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes; sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't." Hell Yea! It is said that Ellis saw comet tails on every pitch, pitched quite wild, and even walked eight batters. If that wasn't enough...LSD wasn't his only drug. Ellis sometimes swallowed 10-15 amphetamines before a game. "I was going out there on the average of 75 milligrams," Ellis said. "Some guys I pitched against, we would try to guess which one of us was higher."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Under the influence of lsd, I watched a couple of guys play catch, and they were not tossing 90 mph curve balls in my direction. Still, it was one of the most freightening times in my life, and I'm not a stranger to danger. Frankly, I'm surprised the man made out on field at all.

w.j. DeBalt said...

Let it be known, I really like the phrase, "not a stranger to danger."