4.11.2007

Mexican food: The day the light went on.

I had one of those rare moments in life when you question the person you've become. You flash back to that young kid filled with hopes and dreams and ask yourself, the you-now, if the you-then would be pleased with the decisions and choices that you-they made. How I came to this startling notion is really quite odd.

I was in a car with two coworkers on our way back to the office from a meeting. It was coming up on five so as you can image the three of us had quitting-time on our minds. The dream of homemade lasagna or pot-roast dancing around our belly's as well.

My one cohort having been in this predicament before knew that a Del Taco lie just outside our route. Not enough to create chaos but outoftheway enough for us to leave the safety of the freeway. The driver of the vehicle must have been on a few of these excursions before because he didn't bat a eye when Del Taco was brought up. He willfully got off the freeway and headed west. I was in the backseat and truly not aware of the detour until I noticed that we stopped. At a traffic light. Odd I thought. This is not the way I would head back but to each his own. It was at this point that the Del Taco initiator began to shower us with the virtues of said fast-food joint. I, a Del Taco virgin, was rather intrigued.

As we pulled up to the drive-through the Initiator asked us both if we wanted anything. No was our reply. He pleaded that I, the chaste should at least try a taco so without much resistance I conceded. From the front-passenger seat he recited his order that consisted of, I kid you not 4 veggie burritos, 3 soft tacos (one being mine) and a large Mr. Pibb with no ice. Turns out he was ordering dinner for the Fam, but what's most amazing here is that he ordered a Mr. Pibb. A Mr. Pibb!

What's even more astonishing is when we pulled up to the window they actually handed him a Mr. Pibb. No ice. Hot Damn. Mr. Pibb! I couldn't get over it. I used to drink this stuff like it was going out of style and that's when it hit me like a positive score on a paternity test. I drank it...I have not seen Mr. Pibb in years....like it was...like that actor that shows up on the Law and Order rerun that you thought was dead...going out of...I didn't think they made it anymore....style! Here it is, Mr. Pibb, out of style. It was my fault. I'm to blame. I drank the shit out of it and now the only place you can get it is at a Del Taco in Dearborn. My me-then is not happy with the me-now.

2 comments:

w.j. DeBalt said...

Maybe it is a regional thing. Because I live in Illinois (in a palace built from expired macaroni and hairnets). And I can get Mr. Pibb pretty much anywhere! I have it in a vending machine in my place of employment. I frequent a restaurant that has something called "Mr. Pibb Xtra" (I think or maybe it is "Mr. Pibb Bold"... I seem to remember the capital "X" though). I even bath in Mr. Pibb, usually on Wednesdays right after LOST. In any event, I don't know how you(then) were drinking it but if it was as if it was "going out of style" then your form must have been subpar because your "out of styleness" seems to be contained to the pennisula. P.S. Anytime you want to trade soem Pibb for some Bell's. I am down!

fAtHanD said...

I tell you what I'll send you some Faygo Red pop and you oblige with the Pibb.

Somehow Bells for Pibb doesn't seem like a far trade to me.