2.01.2007

SBMDAAFBW

Ok. I just can't take this any more. I bit my tongue when "Big Momma's House II" came out (and was the #1 movie at the box office its opening week). I can no longer sit here quietly and take this.

Hear me when I yell this:
"A SKINNY BLACK MAN DRESSED AS A FAT BLACK WOMAN IS NOT FUNNY!!"

Am I wrong here? Seriously!!

Ok, when Eddie Murphy did it in "Nutty Professor" it was kinda funny, I admit the whole "Hercules, Hercules..." thing was funny at the time. That was 1996! Then came "Nutty Professor II" in 2000 and it was already played out. 2000 was when the Skinny Black Man Dressed As A Fat Black Woman (SBMDAAFBW) trend really started to pick up steam. It was this same year that the poor man's Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, also did a SBMDAAFBW film. "Big Momma's House" hit the big screen and for some god damn reason it was a success.

Why America? Seriously? I know that I am talking to the country as a whole in a very Bernie Mac-like way, but Jesus, what the hell is going on? Am I on the outside of the joke? That's fine, wouldn't be the first time, but someone please explain it to me. Do you think this is funny?

I know fat people are funny, and I have found that fat black ladies can be some of the funniest people on this planet. That is a fact. They don't give a shit and they know how to laugh. Loud! So why don't we have any movies with REAL fat black ladies? Eddie Murphy and Martin are taking all these rolls (pun)? Is there a Hollywood agent somewhere with a whole stable of hilarious plus size black women? If so, I am betting that they are funnier than Eddie and Martin in their SBMDAAFBW roles.

That brings me to what has pushed me over the edge. Skinny little Eddie Murphy has a new SBMDAAFBW movie coming out. It is called "Norbit" and as far as I can tell from the previews it follows the same equation as all the SBMDAAFBW flicks. If this movie does well at the box office, I am going to fuckin' lose it! 9 full years after the SBMDAAFBW shtick was kinda funny in "Nutty Professor!" It is 2007, the future! When I was a kid I totally thought I would be flying around in flying cars by now, not going to see movies starring men in fat suits. Give it up! That is like me thinking that the whole "knock, knock. whose there? orange...." bit is still funny.

What is it? Am I too white? Can I not identify with the humor because I am neither skinny nor fat? Do I secretly hate fat suits? I know that I have a deep dislike for Martin Lawrence, but I don't think that is solely to blame for my anger.

I will tell you one thing, if you go see this movie I will hate you!

4 comments:

Mardi Gras said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I feel your pain buddy. I was gonna blog about this too, but I couldn't get past "they go hand in hand like Eddie Murphy and a fat suit."

SmithJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SmithJ said...

Dear Warden Debalt,
Please accept my nomination of Eddie Murphy for Dick Slap Death.

http://peripheralfiasco.blogspot.com/2007/01/inspired-by-coworkers.html