1.24.2007

a hybrid form of cutlery

Like the majority of the working mass I am allowed a break to nourish myself. The hour between noon and 1 p.m. EST is my alloted time to do this because I work from the hours of 9:00 a.m EST and 5:00 p.m. EST.

The area surrounding my place of work could be described as light commercial in that there is a high density of small businesses and a spattering of strip malls and apartment complexes. The local food is as eclectic as the area around it. One can find anything from Thai, to Indian, to all-you-can-eat fish fry (on Fridays). So as they say, my lunch options are sky's the limit. However I find that as the traditional lunch hour approaches and the bulk of my coworkers head off to enjoy Crunch Wrap Supremes I prefer the solitude this hour offers me. It is not that I do not enjoy the company of my cohorts, I do occasionally join them on their excursions, I find this down time therapeutic and re-genitive. Chicken gumbo for my soul.

So as I am left relatively alone in my cube to enjoy my "me time" I have realized the freedom this hour gives me. It started out small at first, I would wipe my mouth on my sleeve. All the while looking over my shoulder expecting judgmental eyes to be bearing down on me. But this was not the case, so my actions each day would get bolder. I began to eat spaghetti with my hands. Once I stomped grapes and had a small dixie cup of Burgundy with my turkey sandwich. My latest, and in my opinion, most revolutionary act has been going on now for over a week. I have traded in my metal fork and spoon I use each day from the company kitchen and have replaced it with a plastic spork. That is right, among million dollar deals and other important stuff I sit in my cube and eat 2 day old beef stew with a spork.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Viva la Spork!!