9.06.2006

this is progress...

On my way to work I pass what used to be 3 rundown old houses lining the road. Some weeks ago the homes were knocked flat and most of the debris removed. You could still see their footprints, though – and there were a lot of “leftovers” laying around. Enough to make you think that you should really go by one day and scavenge. Or at least explore. I like doing that – you never know what you may find...someone’s pictures, or diaries, or shopping lists from 1942. Just sitting there in the rubble. And each of the homes were surrounded by old age trees. Trees that went back quite aways.

On my way to work today there were no more leftovers. And no more old age trees. There were some yellow mechanical vehicles and an industrial chipper. And a stack of woodchips of which I have never seen the like. I’m not exaggerating when I say it was at least 2 stories high. And deep. It went back further than the homes had. And the chip pile was steaming. I had never seen woodchips steaming before in the early morning sun. They must have been freshly chipped. It looked so surreal. I felt like I was in a dream. Not my own dream, but someone else’s.

No comments: