10.03.2007

Kim Jong-Il at Target

I thought I saw Kim Jong-Il in the parking lot of Target today. I doubt that it was the real Kim Jong-Il, because I have been seeing his face all over the news with reports of the Korean summit. This man looked a lot like him though, which is not all that common at the Target where I shop. I was at the Target to buy a bathroom scale as I am preparing to increase the frequency that I weigh myself.

With weight and Kim Jong-Il dancing a slow dance in my mind, it wasn't long before I started to wonder how much the average Korean weighs and then I wondered how much the average American weighs. The mental picture that was in my head shifted to a picture of a very skinny Kim Jong-Il dancing with a morbidly obese Target employee. Luckily for me this scene also included a lonely wallflower, named the internet. I asked him to weigh in on the subject. This is what he told me.

It was loud in there, the Kenny Loggins tune that Kim Jong-Il and the Target employee were dancing to was really cranked, so I asked him again and his answer was this.

The average weight in the US is 163 lb for women and 190 lb for men
The average weight in Finland* is: 88 lb for women and 183 lb for men

I found this shocking, Women in Finland and Korea weigh almost half what women in the US weigh? Holy shit that is crazy, I thought!

With that in mind I decided to by the cheapest scale they had. $14.99. It was white, I wanted it to be stainless steel, but you can't win em all. I bought a personal cheese pizza at the Pizza Hut inside Target on my way out. I ate it in the car. When I came out of the store Kim Jong-Il wasn't in the parking lot anymore, poor bastard probably had to fly home to tend to his malnourished Finnish wife.

*Finland was substituted for Korea because the weight chart that was referenced only included USA, Canada, Finland, and the UK. Since Finland seemed less like the other 3 it was selected as the substitute. Scientifically selected, mind you.

No comments: