6.05.2007

Fork In The Road

After work this afternoon, while in a partially spaced out state of consciousness, somewhere between sleep and wake I overheard the television make a statement that jolted my subconscious and subsequently the rest of me. The man on TV (and they never lie) said studies have proven…are you ready for this…that exercise is good for you! Now generally I’d let something like this go with a simple “no shit Sherlock” or similar retort, but the TV man went on to claim that beyond the obvious physical benefits, the effects of regular exercise on a person’s mental well-being are similar to drugs or psychotherapy. My initial reaction (being lazy enough that I’m about two steps from buying my clothes at a big and tall and special ordering my underwear) was, what a cruel world this is where exercise is “good” for you, but things like fast food, lawn forking and sex with random strangers in a bathroom stall in Shreveport are “bad”. But after giving it some more thought it occurred to me, who said lawn forking was bad anyway?

No comments: